As promised, similar to my list for 25 by 25, I have a more expansive list of goals for 2018. I’ve looped this in with my word for the year, since they’re tangentially related… and three posts all of lists/resolutions/goals seemed excessive. Two is reasonable, right? Right??
I’m a huge podcast listener and a fan of many, many podcasts. Someday, maybe we’ll go through all of the ones I’ve been loving lately – I’ve been listening to some since 2008, so there’s nearly ten years worth of love to discuss(!). BUT, for now – one of the podcasts I’ve been loving lately is Happier with Gretchen Rubin and her sister, Elizabeth Craft.
If you’re not familiar with Gretchen’s work (I can call her Gretchen, right?? We have one-sided conversations all the time, so I’m considering us pretty close to best friends.) (I kid.) (Kind of.), let me share a brief overview. A few years ago, Gretchen underwent a yearlong happiness project where she explored methods to making herself happier, and then published this in a book titled (you might’ve guessed it) – the Happiness Project. This book fell into my lap from a former love’s mother, and I absolutely loved it.
I started listening to her podcast about a year ago and some change, and quickly got hooked. Gretchen went on to write a few more books (which are on my “to be read” list), but I make the time to listen to her podcast on my commute frequently. Her happiness hacks and stumbling blocks have nudged me to make small and big changes in my life, and for that, I’m extremely grateful.
In a recent episode, Gretchen and Liz talked about making a list for 18 things you want to accomplish in 2018, as a spin on new year’s resolutions. Since NYE is my absolute favorite holiday, I’m always all ears when it comes around every year – and I loved this idea of making my resolutions into tangible items that I can cross off the list.
I’m all for adding something new into the mix, so without further ado…
18 things for 2018
- Take sailing lessons
- Implement a daily skincare routine
- Watch 100 of IMDB’s Top 250 movies of all time
- Read a book for at least a half hour daily
- Go kayaking in the Chicago River
- Write consistently in a journal
- Gamble (a little) at a casino
- Shop regularly at a farmer’s market or CSA
- Go camping at a country music festival
- Return to running post-injury and run a race
- Make a lifelong bucket list
- Send birthday and anniversary cards to my friends and family
- Travel to a country overseas
- Have photos printed into a memory book
- Go on a date that’s truly blind/a set up
- Watch the sunrise over Lake Michigan after a night out
- Join a beach volleyball rec league
- Drink 100oz of water every day
I’m looking forward to the new challenges and experiences that 2018 is going to bring. And how these 18 items are going to help bring my work for the year into fruition: brave. 24 is all about living loud, and tangentially – 2018 is about being brave.
I’m still determining exactly what that means to me.
Happy almost new year, y’all. Let’s make it a good one.